More Than Words® — The Hanen Program® for Parents of Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder
As a parent, you know how challenging it can be for your child with Autism Spectrum Disorder to interact meaningfully with others and connect with the world around him/her.
The More Than Words Program was designed specifically for parents of children ages 7 and under on the autism spectrum. Addressing the unique needs of these children, the program provides parents with the tools, strategies and support they need to help their children reach their full communication potential.
More Than Words does this by empowering you to help your child reach the following three goals:
1. Improved social skills
2. The ability to engage in back-and-forth interactions
3. Improved understanding of language
Here are some of the valuable things you’ll learn when you attend the More Than Words Program:
• How your child learns best and how to use what motivates your child
• Why your child behaves in certain ways, and what you can do with those behaviours
• How to use your knowledge about your child to set realistic goals
• How to make interactions with your child last longer and be more meaningful
• Tips for using pictures and print to help your child’s understanding
• Tips on how to talk so that your child understands you
• Strategies for developing your child’s play skills
• Ways to help your child make friends
The More Than Words parent program includes:
• 7 training sessions in small, personalised groups.
• A Hanen Certified speech-language pathologist leading the program.
• 3 individual visits for you and your child with your Speech-Language Pathologist in which you are videotaped while interacting with your child. Then you and your Speech-Language Pathologist watch the videotaped interaction together to “see” what’s helping and what you can modify to help even more.
Call Reception for further information on 07 3249 5333