Acupuncture for Menopause
How You Can Ease Your Menopause Symptoms With Traditional Chinese Acupuncture
Tyack Healths Kuan-Sing Kao M.D.(Acu. & Chinese Medicine) has a special interest in treating menopause with traditional Chinese Acupuncture and herbs. It is encouraging to know that the positive results patients report back are also supported by recent research.
Menopause for women starts when your ovaries stop releasing eggs, and there is a drop in blood oestrogen levels. This fall in hormone levels disrupts your menstrual cycle and can trigger other symptoms associated with menopause during this change in the body. Some women do not experience any noticeable symptoms however eight out of ten women do experience some. Most common are hot flushes and night sweats. Traditional Chinese Acupuncture works by helping to rebalance the body.
Symptoms of Menopause
- hot flushes and night sweats
- feeling faint or feeling your heart thumping fast (palpitations)
- night time urination
- vaginal changes (such as dryness)
- mood changes such as irritability, depression or anxiety
- difficulty sleeping due to night sweats or mood changes
- loss of interest in sex (libido)
- tennis elbow and frozen shoulder
Research supporting Traditional Chinese Acupuncture effectiveness for Menopause
- A study from Norway found that women reported a reduction in frequency and intensity of hot flushes both by night and by day having used acupuncture for 12 weeks.
- A study of 53 women published March 8 in Acupuncture in Medicine found that twenty seven women received acupuncture twice a week for ten weeks. This involved placing needles at certain points on the body to boost energy and release endorphins, the body's natural painkillers. The remaining volunteers were given 'dummy' acupuncture with blunted needles. At the end of the trial, those receiving genuine treatment had lower scores for the intensity of the hot flushes and mood swings they experienced which progressively improved over the treatment period compared with those given dummy needles.
What to expect with Treatment for Menopause with Tyack Healths Traditional Chinese Acupuncture
For patients with menopause your first treatment is used to diagnosis your individual yin/yang constitution and also test how you are likely to respond. This helps to establish the best approach to the following treatments for best results.
You should notice improvements starting to occur after the second or third treatment as symptoms decrease, lifestyle adjustments are introduced and overall feeling of wellbeing increasing.
3-4 weekly treatments are recommended initially to recover your bodys balance to an optimum level. This can then be tapered off to a monthly maintenance to keep Qi flow within your body at maximum capacity.